Welcome to the Wild Heretic forum where ideas are explored and information is linked so that hopefully all of us will have a clearer and better understanding of the world we live in. (When uploading avatars, make sure to resize them first by using a website such as this one - http://resizepic.com/. Max dimensions are 120 x 120 pixels.)

New members must first INTRODUCE THEMSELVES in the introduce yourself thread below if they want to post replies and start threads. If more than a couple of days have past after posting on the introduce yourself thread, and you still can't start threads, pm me. Either I've been away, or I have overlooked your introduction and forgotten to add you to the approved list.

Shazaam (Sinbad Genie Movie): Do you remember it?

When your memory of global or cultural events does NOT match today's reality. Examples are: Nelson Mandela dying in prison, the BerenstEIn bears, Interview with A Vampire, Sex IN the City, previously-dead-now-alive celebrities, countries in different places, 52 states in America etc.

Topic author
Concaveman
Initiate
Initiate

Shazaam (Sinbad Genie Movie): Do you remember it?

Postby Concaveman » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:06 pm

I've seen a couple articles, even in the "Mainstream Media" :lol: about this one: a 90s comedy movie in which comedian Sinbad plays a goofy genie.

http://www.newstatesman.com/science-tec ... nk-it-does

I know I never saw this movie, but it does sound familiar like I can picture the poster or commercials at the edge of my mind. I wonder, though, if him having a stage name from middle eastern mythology lends itself to association with a genie. (Are people stereotyping him?)

I definitely remember the Shaw movie (didn't see it) and I definitely remember a Sinbad the Sailor series of computer games about this time, too.

JMAC1978
Hoax destroyer
Hoax destroyer

Re: Shazaam (Sinbad Genie Movie): Do you remember it?

Postby JMAC1978 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:50 pm

Sinbad was never a genie. Shaq was. I think ive even seen articles were Sinbad himself has said he has no idea why people think he played a genie...** just seen the link you provided.. I think that's the article lol

Topic author
Concaveman
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Concaveman » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:46 am

Agree, JMac. To us, Shaq was a genie, Sinbad was not. I think I am just having a false memory/power of suggestion, but it sounds like some people have really detailed memories of this. Not everyone experiences all of these Mandela effects. Seems like this is a good example of one.

JMAC1978
Hoax destroyer
Hoax destroyer

Postby JMAC1978 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:20 pm

maybe some ME are stronger than others, but what's weird is as strong as I feel about knowing SINBAD wasn't a genie.. I feel just as strong about the Thinker and the Bernstein Bears...lol. but I was wrong with those two..

Wodiependent

Postby Wodiependent » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:35 am

I remember the cover to this VHS tape vividly.

I have a unique perspective on this particular ME because my mother owned a local video/DVD rental store for 15 years in Lillian Alabama.

It was originally C&J video then M&M video, then when it went on government auction (first owner was convicted of tax evasion and sent to club fed) mom bought it and renamed it Front Row Video I KNOW in MY reality this film existed. I spent many, many days at the video store either helping during weekends or if I missed school during weekdays.

As I said, I remember the VHS clear as day. I walked those aisles categorizing and straightening since i was 7 years old. I saw the cover countless times. And even had the thought run through my head of

"Kinda odd that they would release two separate movies about two different black Genies (Shaq).."

So in my reality, both of these films existed.

I will try and contact my dad (mom passed away in 2015 as she was shutting the store down) about all of the movies in storage and try to locate the VHS tape.

But as far as my reality goes, this film existed. No doubt in my mind. I only saw the damn cover 10 times a week for 10+ years.
"Forgive me, I'm rusty."

Wodiependent

Postby Wodiependent » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:04 am

So this has been eating at me as much as the stein-stain ME. I decided to take to my instagram account and ask my peers. So Far everyone I have asked in my age range (20-30 year old/Millennial) remembers a Sinbad genie movie. I asked my wife as well (22 years old). Asked her if she remembered Sinbad and the first thing that came to her mind was the TV sitcom he was on. Then she said "Wait, a movie too. Something about a Genie? Or was that Shaq?"

I called my dad and left a message about the movies in storage. Fingers crossed I can get to them
Attachments
wp_ss_20170107_0007.png
wp_ss_20170107_0007.png (75.87 KiB) Viewed 462 times
wp_ss_20170107_0005.png
wp_ss_20170107_0005.png (213.32 KiB) Viewed 462 times
"Forgive me, I'm rusty."

lingo28
Aware
Aware

Postby lingo28 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:44 pm

Sinbad is getting confused for playing a genie in a movie because he wore parachute pants on Star Search in 1985. He was maybe the first to wear them, even before MC Hammer popularized them. His facial hair also resembles what popular cartoon genie facial hair is.

Watch:

A genie wears big puffy pants and has a goatee

Sinbad -> parachute pants -> thin goatee -> "Sinbad was a genie!...wasn't he?"

This is another example of the brain making a string of false connections. It's no big deal - but it's no "alternate reality Mandela Effect", either.

*Takes a bow*

Wodiependent

Postby Wodiependent » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:56 pm

Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-01-08 at 1.40.38 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-01-08 at 1.40.38 PM.png (146.36 KiB) Viewed 436 times
"Forgive me, I'm rusty."

JMAC1978
Hoax destroyer
Hoax destroyer

Postby JMAC1978 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:16 pm

I'm with you on this one LINGO. I remember the big pants, BIG HOOP earring . he looked like a genie in everyday clothes at that time.. but like I said other ME's are stronger than this one for me.. could it be the brain mixing SInbad the sailor (who dressed like a genie) and the comedian Sinbad (who had poor choice of clothes) shinny vests, big hoop earrings, parachute pants... for me this is it

Return to “Mandela Effect”